I have been planning on doing a trip like this for ages, and I'm finally geared up to pull it off. I would love some company, this could be the trip of your summer - don't miss it!
Over Labor Day Weekend, we'll drive some of Colorado's most famous backcountry 4x4 routes, summit two 14ers, explore Telluride, Silverton, Ouray, camp under the stars, and maybe even drink a beer or four.
What: The classic Alpine Loop 4x4 trails, Redcloud Peak + Sunshine Peak 14ers
When: Labor Day Weekend 2014
Who: You, your 14er legs, your 4x4 vehicle
Why: Because Colorado is awesome
Goal: Explore SW Colorado via backcountry roads
***This is subject to change based on feedback, further research, local weather, vehicle limitations, etc. I just wanted to get this posted up sooner than later to get the planning process going.***
- Camp overnight somewhere between Lake City and Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch.
- Potential sites include: Mill Creek, Williams Creek, Wupperman
- Hike Redcloud Peak (14,034') and, depending on energy/weather, try to bag Sunshine Peak (14,001')
- Drive to Animas Forks via Cinammon Pass
- Drive to Silverton via HWY 110
- Camp near Silverton
- Leave Silverton and head for Telluride via Black Bear Pass (or Ophir Pass)
- Explore Telluride
- Drive to Ouray via Imogene Pass (or Ophir Pass)
- Camp near Ouray
- Drive from Ouray to Lake City via Engineer Pass + Mineral Creek
- Return home!
- You must have a high-clearance 4x4 vehicle with low-range gearing, good tires, skid plates, etc. Lockers & a winch would be good additions but probably are not "must-have" things. We will be driving in the backcountry, but the trails are not overly aggressive or technical, and most are rated as "intermediate" (except Black Bear Pass & Mineral Creek). My goal is to get through safely with time to explore, and not to push our vehicles to their limits.
- You should carry standard vehicle recovery equipment, and know how to use it: jack or winch, tow straps, chains, full-size spare, shovel, axe, etc.
- I don't have a CB, but we can use walkie talkies depending on the size of our crew
- Camping & hiking gear!
Let me know if you have questions/feedback, and I hope to see some of you out there!